October 30, 2013

I am the sunlight

Today's Words of Wisdom are a fragment from Mary Elizabeth Frye's poem Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep. It was the first poem she ever wrote. It is written from the perspective of someone who is dying, and is addressed to the people he/she is leaving behind. It tells them not to "stand at my grave and weep", and emphasizes the notion that he/she will still be present in the world around them. I have been in love with this poem for years, and we are still figuring out a way to capture these feelings in ideas into a piece of jewelry.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night
Mary Elizabeth Frye


Do you know any poems that are both sad and beautiful, like this one?

xx Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment